Pages

Tuesday, October 30, 2012

October Book Review

I finally got around to reading a book I have had in my Kindle forever; Up from Slavery by Booker T. Washington. I loved it, really loved it.  I could admire what he went through, where he came from and how he held onto his convictions through it all.  A hard worker, suffering unimaginable loss of not 1 but 2 wives, and still seemingly never becoming bitter.  Washington offers up lessons in hard work and keeping a good attitude with humility.  I put this on my kids to read list for school.  Its a quick read and easy to follow.  I bought it in paper back for my kids though since its a bit easier to read than on a phone or mp3 player.

I also read Alan Alda's Never Have Your Dog Stuffed.  An honest and humorous memoir.  It was a fun quick read.  This is not an indepth autobiography, and its not a "How I got Famous" book, nor is it a fairy tale how he lived happily ever after.  I think he touches on a lot of what everyone goes through.  Always struggling to meet this goal that doesn't have a name and we have no idea how to get there.  I really enjoyed it.

I also read Stori Telling by Tori Spelling.   This was one of those guilty pleasures, like sitting in bed eating ice cream while you watching something on tv that has no moral merit at all.  It was a quick easy read and I just could not put it down.  It was funny and honest.  Honest in a way that I am sure was hard to write about.  Some of what she talks about, the mistakes she made, admitting she was wrong could not have been easy. 

Next I am on to Betty White's Here We Go Again.  I love Betty White.  I read a book of hers last year and enjoyed it so much when I saw this one I knew I had to read it.  I'll let you know if I was right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment