Pages

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

13 Things I wish Teachers Knew

Disclaimer: I have no problem with schools.  They are a need, a necessity.  Not everyone can or should homeschool.  I have sent my kids to public school.  I have gone to private, public and was homeschooled as well.  What I have a problem with is the way that children are taught, the tying of hands of teachers, the outrageous expenses these schools shell out, etc.  

I read an article today and got steamed.  I think not reading news is probably better for my health.  The title was 13 things your Child's Teacher Won't Tell You.  Now, before I read this I am thinking its going to mention things like: The other kids don't like your kid, or I find the food you send with you kid makes me gag.  You know, stuff of that nature.  Instead the article highlighted things like #3:
3. We’re sick of standardized testing and having to “teach to the test.”
No way! I had no idea.  I have only heard about it in every article about education reform for the last decade or more.

Honestly, the one that bothered me the most was #9:
9. We take on the role of mother, father, psychologist, friend, and adviser every day. Plus, we’re watching for learning disabilities, issues at home, peer pressure, drug abuse, and bullying.
As if we didn't know that teachers were also baby sitters?   No, what actually bothers me is their attitudes towards me homeschooling.  Instead of a teacher taking on a roll of mother, I am a mother taking on the roll as teacher.  A roll that mothers know too well.  We teach them to walk, to talk, to go on the potty, to be polite, to look both ways when they cross the street.  When they show up on that first day of school it was their mother and/or father that got them there.  The kids don't show up peeing themselves, attacking other students and drawing all over the walls.  A teacher is thinking mighty highly of themselves if they think parents don't take on the roll of psychologist, chauffeur, friend, adviser, nurse, and more.

I think if I made a list of things I wished teachers knew about parents it would look like this:

1. We know our children better than you do. We spent numerous years with our children, day and night, before they showed up in your classroom.  When I say something about my kids take it seriously, I know what I am talking about.

2. Its not that we aren't interested in our children's learning, its that you rub us the wrong way.  Instead of getting into a heated argument we are avoiding you.  Yea, that's right, you aren't perfect and there are people in this world that don't like you.  Rolling your eyes at a parent is sure to make them just fall all over you in adoration. 

3. The schools policy on no brought in lunches is making my child sick and lethargic.  School food is crappy and kids don't eat well enough.  My daughter didn't loose 10 pounds because we don't feed her at home, but because school lunches are so awful she isn't eating at school.

4. Putting kids in time out during recess, the only time they have to run off their energy, is not going to help their behavior any. 

5. We actually like to spend time with our kids, but we often sacrifice that so we can make enough money to feed them.  Don't judge my absence on lack of love.

6. My kids wouldn't need a phone in school if the other kids didn't bully him or you scare him so much.

7. When my children come home with all sorts of bad behaviours I remember that it was you watching them all day.

8.  Kids are gonna get hurt or sick at school, we accept that.  We expect you to accept the same at home.  My kids aren't missing days because I am a bad parent, its because they are sick.

9.  My kids tell me all about you too. 

10.  I get paid nothing to raise the next generation of Americans.  To do what you do.

11.  We view homework the same way our kids do.  We hate it.  You have them for 8 hours and can't get done with everything?  How many hours a day do kids really need to be doing school work?  Do they get to sleep at some point?

12.  If we had a choice, we would use a private school.  

13.  We expect our children to do the best they can do, and we except them to be taught by the best.  If we settled for mediocre what would we ever have to strive for?

1 comment: