Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Its the most wonderful time of the year

Remember those commercials from Staples?  Well, homeschoolers get excited about school starting again too.  It means the return of schedules and structure, the departure of boredom and 24/7 computer games.  We are a week away from school starting and I couldn't be more excited.  I will admit to trying to find a way to start school sooner.

The kids aren't so much excited.  They know when school starts there is no lounging around in the am.  They will have to get up, eat breakfast, brush their teeth, do their chores, hopefully dress and then its school time.   Which is really quite relaxing.  Everyone is on one level for the majority of the day, I don't have to chase a baby out of 3 bathrooms, or worry about him climbing up the bunk bed everytime I turn around.  Kids are mostly quiet during this time except when they have a question.  We get to listen to music and the kids aren't running around being crazy.  Oh yes, its a great time of the year. 

Lunch is generally around noon (I start it during the 11 o'clock hour), the kids have a break where they do more chores (bwahahahah) and finish their school work or go play if they are done.  This is when I put the baby down for his nap.  I do have to do chores during this time: laundry, dishes, vacuuming, etc.  But the afternoon is for fun.  Kids enjoy crafts and reading or playing blocks. 

When dinner rolls around and the comes home the kids can get a little more crazy.  They watch tv or play on the computer.  Every year I say I am gonna find something for the kids to do during the summer so we still have that structure and so its not so crazy.  But then the heat hits and no one wants to leave the house so we never do anything.  One of these years I will figure it out.  Or we will move somewhere we can actually enjoy summer break.  Maybe I should do school all summer and have summer break over the winter months.  Maybe I have had this backwards the whole time.  Or maybe I will do year round school, that should make my kids happy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment