Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Its not a big deal

I have to say one of the hardest things I have had to learn as a parent is that most things really aren't that big of a deal. Sure at the time it seems like the world as we know it is coming to an end but really its not. Ok well maybe YOU don't think its coming to an end but I have a pension for the over dramatic.

I first realized I had this problem when my kids started freaking out over things. I remember quite clearly dd1 screaming hysterically because the velcro of her diaper got stuck on her blanket. She was 2 at the time. I knew she had to have learned that response somewhere. Hmmm wonder from where.

Now that they are older I am often times finding myself saying, "Oh calm down, its not that big of a deal." It falls on deaf ears though. Oh not my kids; Myself. I finally started listening to myself though and realized, yup all those things is not such a big deal. Certainly not in the long run. If it can be cleaned, fixed, or replaced its not that big of a deal.

An example:

ds5 likes the feeling of peanut butter on his fingers. And in his hair. And between his toes. In short he likes to cover himself in peanut butter. The first time this happened I completely freaked out. Do you know how hard it is to clean peanut butter out of carpet? I have since learned its not that big of a deal. Yes, its hard to get peanut butter out of carpet, but it does come out. And of course he always does it shortly after a bath but at least that means there is nothing stuck IN the peanut butter. Mmmmm peanut butter and toe jam. Yummy. I have also learned how to clean up peanut butter quickly and more importantly effectively. And I learned you need to lock the pantry. I can always buy more peanut butter but I can never replace the pics I have of ds "sharing" it with me.
Yes, when things happen they are usually terribly inconvenient, probably messy, might be heart stopping but in the end its not such a big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment