Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

If you aren't confused, you aren't learning

I don't know it all.  Shocking, right?  Here you thought I had it all together and figured out.  Nope, not by a long shot.  In fact I have no idea what I am doing.  I do know some things.  Like 2+2=4 and the Earth goes around the Sun.  But when it comes to parenting, education, organization, memory, and marriage - I am just trying to get through the day. 

My 7 yr old hates his science and history, not that he doesn't like to learn about them.  He does, he loves to go to museums and reenactments but he hates his school work in science and history.  Nothing I have done with him seems to help.  If it isn't interactive, hands on learning, he doesn't want to have anything to do with it.  He can't learn all he has to learn by going to reenactments and museums.  He has to read and write and do something.  He has me stumped.  I have no idea how to teach him. 

My baby will not sleep.  Ok let me be more specific, he won't sleep at night.  He sleeps fine during the day.  As soon as that sun goes down out comes Mr. Grump, who wants nothing to do with me or the dh or more importantly - sleep.  You would think after 8 kids I would have this bedtime ritual thing down, but he has me pulling my hair out.  We can't walk him, nurse him, have the tv on or off, have a night light on or off, in his bed or on the floor or on a hard surface or soft surface.  He cries about it all.  Come 10 am hes sleeping like a log though. 

Of course there is the odd problems here and there like my 9 yr old thinking the floor is his personal laundry basket, my youngest daughter being scared to death of her own teeth, my 3 yr old constantly walking outside with no shoes on getting prickers in his feet and mommy and daddy trying every trick in the book to correct the problem and falling flat on our faces each time. 

I pray, I search the internet for answers.  I read books and talk to other parents, I get lots of good ideas.  And it occurs to me, if I weren't confused, if I did know it all, I wouldn't be looking for different answers.  I wouldn't be learning and growing.  I wouldn't be searching and talking with people.  And as bad as I feel that I can't figure everything out, I feel that good knowing I am learning and growing every day.  And I hope when my kids have kids and I have this vast experience with 8 different types of fears and energy levels and quirks and flaws and traits and talents; that my kids can come to me and I can help them grow and learn.  Then when they find the answers for themselves, they will teach me ever more.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for inspiring me. I nominated you for an award here: http://1prayingmom.blogspot.com/2010/04/now-this-is-inspiration.html

    -Peace

    ReplyDelete