Pages

Sunday, July 10, 2011

How to Make a Diaper Stacker

This is the first time in a few years that I have had 2 in diapers.  I have come to accept that my toddler will not potty train anytime soon.  Or at least not soon enough for me to stop being annoyed with having stacks of diapers laying around.  I needed another diapers stacker.  I didn't have a pattern and I have had no luck finding one in ANY store.  So fine I will make one, it can't be that hard.   Well, its a little hard but at least I have somewhere else to stack my diapers and not my night stand. 

You will need:

Fabric
Binding
Sewing machine or needle and thread
Scissors, pins and a pen
Hanger

Measure and cut the washed and dried fabric to 35 inches wide and 23 inches long keeping about 1/4 inch for the seam allowance. The bottom is 11x7 inches again with a 1/4 inch seam allowance. The bottom does not have to match the fabric. I used a cotton woven, you don't want anything stretchy like knit because the weight will end up stretching it out. 



Sew the biding onto the ends of the short side.  If you would  rather not deal with binding you can add an inch instead of 1/4 inch then turn  twice and top stitch.  Binding gives it a cleaner look though and its really not that much harder to do. 



Sew the bottom onto the body of the fabric.  To do this find the middle of the long side of the bottom, place the binding at that mark and start sewing there.  Keeping right sides together and taking special care at the corners not to round them too much.  Using pins will help keep the fabric from shifting.  You may want to do a faux serge on the edges to make it more secure. 



At the top of the body again find the middle and fold the corners in and sew straight across.  Once sewn measure in from the corners about 3 inches and fold the corners in to that point. Pin down and sew straight across the top again.  This is designed for a children's hanger and this pulls in the top to form corners for a smaller hanger.



Measure 4 inches from the top and stitch just the bound edges together.  This will give you a loop with which to put the hanger through.  Its supposed to be covered by a bow but certainly doesn't need to be.  I didn't have one so I just left it. 




Turn right side out and place cardboard at the bottom and hanger through the top.  Fill with diapers and hang.  Viola!  A diaper stacker.  It took me about an hour to complete and that includes all the cutting, marking, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment