Pages

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Indecision

When I was 15 I decided I wanted to be a midwife.  So I started going to college getting all my pre reqs.  Thats when I was exposed to all these different ideas and professions.  I changed my mind and decided to go for a degree in Psychology.  Until my last year when I started having nightmares of dealing with abused kids.  But what was I gonna do with all those Pysch classes?  I figured I would go into advertising, so I got a degree in Communications.  And what did I do with it?  Become a mommy.  Then as a mommy I took my hobby of sewing and writing and made money doing that.

The Dh had a similar experience.  He actually got a degree in CAD and did that for 14 years.  He was a landscaper in there and a maintenance man.  He got into IT then Appraising and did some security work and pizza delivery then back into IT again. 

I know very few people who have stuck with a profession or career for more than 10-15 years.  These are adults who spent a considerable amount of money (and time) on school, who really thought they would love their job and do it for the rest of their life. 

I look at my kids with all their different interests and talents and feel bad when I get upset that they won't stick to any one thing longer than a few months.  However, a few months to an 8 year old is a really long time. I know I am not the only parent out there that gets frustrated after buying all the Ballet stuff only to have your daughter decide 3 months later that she would rather take Tap.  But how will kids know if they really like something unless they try it out?  They might get in their head they would love soccer, but until they try it they don't really know.  Then, why stick with something you hate or aren't good at? 

You never know when a hobby will become your career and when your career will become obsolete. I think that indecision that kids have,  trying things out, is natures way of making sure we have enough interests in life so that we have something to fall back on when one job doesn't pan out.  In our case when Appraising died at least the Dh could get a job in IT again.  I turned my hobby of sewing in to a job and was paying the bills for awhile.  Don't look at it as indecision as much as alternative opportunities in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment