Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Kids are Adaptable

Mothers, not so much.  In fact I think the say, "Old dogs can't learn new tricks." came from some mom trying to explain why she can not possibly do another shift change.  The dh started a new job, which involves a very dramatic shift change.  He went from sleeping 10 pm to 4 am to sleeping 10 am to 4 pm.  Meanwhile I am supposed to keep my schedule and keep the kids quiet while he sleeps.  Someone should probably have told him we have 9 kids.  Actually, they have been incredibly good.  I will tell you, you have no idea how good your kids truly are till you need them to be.  Unfortunately, I don't sleep so well when hes not here.  Apparently even *I* can't live on as little sleep as I am getting. 

Its going something like this:
1-2am - Tries to sleep, takes about 30-45 min before I am out

2-3 am - Baby wants to nurse

3:30-4 am - 2 year old wakes up wanting a drink and needing a diaper change

4:30 am - Baby wants to nurse

5 am - 2 year old wants a drink and needs ANOTHER diaper change

5:15 -  5 year old starts yelling at his 4 year old brother in his sleep. 

6 am - baby wants to nurse again

6:30 am the garbage truck rolls around

7 am I am finally bad to sleep, but I know I have to be up at 8 so I can shower and get done before the dh gets home to crash. 

Then as I walk around all zombie like during the day while the kids have all this energy and get to take naps. We shifted their schedule over the last 2 weeks so they are staying up later so they can see daddy more when he is home.  They have not noticed anything, no one has complained.  But me, I am falling up the stairs, not down but up, because I am so tired I can't make my legs work the way they are supposed to. 

Once we are on this schedule and back to "normal", what ever that is, we better never ever change again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment