Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Because Stay at Home Moms are Dumb

About 10 or 12 years ago my  brother in law said of me being a stay at  home mom, "Why did you bother going to college then?  You are wasting your education."  This from a man who manages a Bob Evans.  Which is a great restaurant and all, but really hes probably wasting his college edumacation. You can bet that statement didn't go over real well with me.

I was reminded of this comment when reading that book; Spilled Milk.  There were a few comments in it about how women wanted to keep working because they needed the mental stimulation.  They didn't want to be a stay at home mom and have their brains turn to mush. Well that ticked me off.  Cause I find being a stay at home mom particularly challenging mentally.  So either I am a dim wit who can't hack even the least strenuous of mentally challenging jobs or she was just woefully misinformed about how much it takes to be a stay at home mom.

Then wouldn't you know it I got even angrier when I read an article about how Chinese women are faring better now than before the 1 child policy because they can actually go to college and have jobs.  Where before it was just assumed you would be a mother and not need to be educated.

Ok, granted its China.  The country isn't synonymous with women's rights.  But it is the prevailing attitude about stay at home moms.  Its not as if I need a degree to change a diaper.  But thats about where the mindlessness ends.

How many parenting books are there? Books on weaning, books on potty training, books on how to teach your child to read.  Books on discipline and how to talk to your child (which I have read by the way and its not a very good book.).  How many television shows are there dedicated to problems parents face?  Super Nanny, Nanny 911, Positive Parenting Radio...and the list goes on.  Frankly, I find it to be the opposite.  Women are scared to be stay at home moms because its too hard.  Of course lots of women have to work.  But if it were a choice and they tell me want to work because being a SAHM is mind numbing I would probably laugh in their face.

I could have used more education.  There are some problems I face over and over again.  The same solution doesn't always work for different kids.  I could use more ammo for those problems.  And to women who found being a stay at home mom boring, you know you can read.  You can go for a walk or talk to someone, get involved volunteering.  You don't have to sit around being bored.  Might I suggest you have a few more kids?  That should liven things up for you.

Now that I have that off my chest, I have to go figure out how to get my 2 year old to take a nap while I have a migraine.  That should be enough challenge for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister! This is another case of "boring people are bored." kwim?! Being a SAHM doesn't turn your brain to mush, not engaging in life does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amongst other things. I have to wonder how many of people dumbed themselves down with drugs.

    ReplyDelete