Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Book Review August 2011

Last month I read 3 books: If These Boobs Could Talk, On Writing by Stephen King and Spilled Milk.

If These Boobs Could Talk was an ok book, I would give it 3 of 5 stars. Its good to have in your diaper bag for nursing sessions when you are out and about or if you are looking for something easy in between 2 my involved books.  It might make a good gift for a baby shower to throw in with something else.

Spilled Milk by Andy Steiner drove me crazy.  I would give it 2 stars out of 5.  She wrote in the first person but had quotes from other mothers thrown in here and there. It was difficult to know if she was talking or the person she was quoting was talking.  She restates things over and over as if the chapters were originally meant to be stand alone articles rather than a book.  Like she will state over and over again a persons profession and credentials. She also jumped around talking about how she hopes her 2nd time nursing will be better, to how shes nursing her 2nd now back to how she is expecting her 2nd.  From a breast feeders stand point she focused on problems more than anything else.  I honestly felt that her own bitterness was coming through.   I just did not care for the overall attitude of the book.  

On Writing by Stephen King has been by far my favorite book in the last 2 years, a 4.5 stars out of 5.  It by Stephen King, how could it not be?  Hes a fabulous writer.  This book is more memoir than how to, but has enough tips in it to give you the confidence to get started writing.  It was well written, followed a good time line even though right in the middle is when he was hit by a car and had to take a long break from writing it.  It does not feel jerky at all.  I laughed quite a few times, especially at the beginning when he was talking about his childhood. If you don't care of swearing you probably will be offended by this book, to which I will say, get over it.  Its a great book.

Next  month I hope I will have 3 more books done so I can review them for you.  On my nightstand now is License to Pawn, Decision Points and The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment